The First Rung on the Ladder #npdi16
We invite ALL information professionals to join us for our Autumn 2016 event “The First Rung on the Ladder: Applications, interviews and first experiences as a New Professional” #npdi16. It will be held on Saturday November 19, 2016 in the John Paul II Library of Maynooth University from 11:30am to 4:00pm. This event will include a panel discussion with experienced librarians from a variety of fields, networking and knowledge sharing, and lightning presentations from early career professionals.
Normally at this time of the year, we would be announcing the date for the New Professionals Day spring event. Unfortunately, we have made the very difficult decision not to run an event this spring. The calendar is filling up and for many happy reasons, the NPD team don’t have the capacity to put together a seminar with the high standard Irish New Professionals deserve. Don’t worry though, we are working away on things in the background and we won’t stay quiet for long!
2016 is already shaping up to be a busy year for the library community in Ireland. We are very lucky to have the renowned LILAC Conference coming to Dublin, the new CONUL conference returning for a second year, and many more established events. As one great librarian has observed, there is no shortage of training and CPD events for Irish librarians. (https://twitter.com/LibrarySherpa/status/667675676544270336) However, getting to these events and feeling like you belong at them can sometimes be difficult, which is a divide we have tried to bridge with New Professionals Day. As we are not holding an event ourselves this spring, we encourage you to look at the events below and enjoy what else is on offer.
There are opportunities to attend the following events, even on the limited budget of a student or new professional. Even as new comers to the library scene, you have so much to offer and new insights to share, so get working on your submissions to gain discounted or free spots. If you are looking for advice with a bursary application, get in touch and we would be happy to help if we can.
- CONUL bursary http://conference.conul.ie/call-for-submissions/ (closing date 15th Feb)
- John Merriman Joint NASIG/UKSG http://www.uksg.org/events/merrimanaward/howtoapply (Closing date 12th Feb)
- The SLA Europe Early Career Conference Award http://www.sla-europe.org/early-career-conference-award/
- Keep an eye out for details of the BIALL Student Bursary which will be announced soon http://www.biall.org.uk/pages/biall-library-school-student-bursary.html
- For CILIP members there is more information here http://www.cilip.org.uk/cilip/grants-bursaries
- The SLIP Student Conference https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/slip-ireland-student-conference-tickets-20593070428
This event is FREE, and looks set to be really interesting and informative, with the opportunity to meet with fellow students and early career librarians (that’s networking but just not so scary!).
- The LAI / CILIP joint conference will be held in Kerry in April, keep an eye on the LAI website and social media for more information coming soon.
- The LAI Career Development Group‘s Library Camp (May/June/TBC). This has been a highlight of our year since it started 3 years ago. Library and information themed chats, cake, new friendly faces, and more cake. Do not miss this.
- Dublin Business School Library Seminar (June/TBC). The brilliant team at DBS Library have held this excellent one day seminar free of charge for the past couple of years. The presentations have been excellent, featuring both local and visiting librarians. It is very accessible for early career library and information professionals due to both the friendly approach of the organisers, and no registration charge (to date).
- The LILAC Conference will be taking place from 21st to the 23rd March in University College Dublin Library and they are seeking volunteer students or alumni
- The Western Regional Section of the Library Association will host their Spring Networking Afternoon on the 27th of February 2016. This looks like a great opportunity to meet with your fellow information professionals and those who participated in last years Rudaí 23 will be presented with their CPD certificates
- The 2016 HSLG Annual Conference will be held on 12th & 13th May 2016 in Dublin and the theme of the conference will be ‘Advancing Health Library Skill Sets.’ More details to follow.
If you have more free events or those suitable for New Professionals coming up get in touch or add them in the comments below.